Terry Pratchett – Guards! Guards! (1989)
Presentations: Monday, April 30
Write a post here of two paragraphs (about 200 words) discussing the text. Choose one topic, or make your post a reply to someone else’s post.
For the presentations, choose one topic per group. Your presentation must present an opinion or argument; it cannot just summarize the story. You must e-mail or speak to me before your presentation to have it approved.
- The protagonists of the book are losers, drunks, and cowards (Vimes, Colon, Nobby). Why? Is Pratchett making a statement about heroism?
- How does Vimes change throughout the story? Why?
- Why does the book seem so interested in books and libraries?
- How do the dwarves compare to humans? Are they better or worse?
- At one point the dragon is disgusted to realize that humans can be more cruel than dragons. What do you think Pratchett is saying as a message?
- Vimes doesn’t seem to agree with Vetinari that all people are evil, and the best a ruler can do is balance out opposing people. Is Vetinari bad, or a practical ruler of a violent city?
- Does the book prove Vetinari right by having two dragons cancel each other out?
- Does the novel have a message or moral it wants the reader to learn?
- Is there something else in the novel you think is interesting or meaningful?