Reading List: Please read: Araby, Eveline, After the Race, The Boarding House, A Little Cloud, Counterparts, A Mother, The Dead.
Blog posts and presentations due: Monday, Sep. 25
Group 1: “The Boarding House”: Mr. Doran and Polly’s marriage will probably be a bad one– is this true, and why?
Write a post here of two paragraphs (about 200 words) discussing one of these questions; or make your post a reply to someone else’s post.
For the presentations, choose one story per group. Your presentation must present an opinion or argument; it cannot just summarize the story. You must e-mail or speak to me before your presentation to have it approved.
- Araby. How can you describe the narrator? Why is he so disappointed by the fair at the end? What was he expecting?
- Eveline. Why does Eveline panic and refuse to join Frank? Do her actions symbolize something deeper? Why does she act as she does at the end?
- After the Race. Why does Jimmy regret gambling with the others? What is the meaning of the story, or the meaning of “daybreak”?
- The Boarding House. Has either Mrs. Mooney or Polly “trapped” Mr. Doran, or does he get what he deserves?
- A Little Cloud. Do you sympathize with Little Chandler? Is he right to feel the way he does?
- Counterparts. Farrington is obviously an alcoholic; does he deserve his treatment at work? Is there a connection between his feelings and his treatment of his son?
- A Mother. Why does Mrs. Kearney act the way she does? Is she right to? How do you feel about her daughter?
- The Dead. What does the story mean? Some people believe it is about Gabriel, but others that it is about Ireland, and some critics see it as describing life itself. Can you see meaning in the story?