Lord of the Flies – William Golding (1954)
Blog posts due and presentation day: Thursday, November 9
- Group 5: What is the meaning of the beast in the novel?
- Group 6: What do Piggy and Simon’s deaths represent?
Write a post here of two paragraphs (about 200 words) discussing Lord of the Flies. Feel free to make your post a reply to someone else’s post if you like.
Choose one topic for your presentation or for online discussion or your paper. One topic per group. A narrow, focused discussion is usually more interesting.
What is the importance of ___________ in the novel? What does it/he symbolize or mean to the characters, the story, or its messages?
- The conch shell
- Piggy (the boy)
- Piggy’s glasses
- Ralph’s leadership versus Jack’s
- The gender of the characters–why no girls?
- The fire
- Scars (on people, or on the land)
- The pointed sticks
- The “littleuns” (the younger children)
- The naval officer