Zadie Smith – White Teeth (2000)
Readings: If you can’t read the entire novel, you can skip chapters 5, 6, 7, and 10.
Blog posts due / Presentations: Thursday, April 12
Write a post here of two paragraphs (about 200 words) discussing the novel. Choose a topic, or make your post a reply to someone else’s post. Or make your own topic.
For the presentations, choose one topic per group. Your presentation must present an opinion or argument; it cannot just summarize the story. You must e-mail or speak to me before your presentation to have it approved.
- How do Archie and Samad remain friends over the years when they are so different?
- What do Irie and Magid find so attractive about “Englishness”?
- Why is Samad so obsessed about his great-grandfather?
- Why do Samad’s children rebel against their father?
- Is Alsana just mean, or does she have a reason to dislike her husband?
- Why does Irie explode at the Joneses and Iqbals on the bus at the climax of the story? What is her argument?
- What is the meaning of the SuperMouse? What does it represent?
- Why do you think the author decided that Irie would never know the father of her baby? What does it mean?
- The fathers in this novel seem absent or weak. Why? Or do you agree?
- Why do you think the novel is called White Teeth? What do teeth mean here?