Bridget Jones’s Diary – Helen Fielding (1996)
Blog posts due & Presentations: Monday, March 25
Group 1: Why does Bridget have such low self-esteem? What does it mean?
Write a post here of two paragraphs (about 200 words) discussing Bridget Jones’s Diary. Choose one topic, or make your post a reply to someone else’s post.
For the presentations, choose one topic per group. Your presentation must present an opinion or argument; it cannot just summarize the story. You must e-mail or speak to me before your presentation to have it approved.
- Why do you think the author wrote the book as a series of diary entries? How does it change how we understand the story?
- Bridget often lies to herself in the entries, telling herself that she doesn’t like Daniel or that she will eat better or stop smoking. Why does she do this?
- Is it right for Bridget to be trying to date her boss all the time, or is it Daniel who is at fault? Why is she so attracted to him?
- Do you feel sympathy for Bridget, or does she get what she deserves sometimes for being lazy or silly or having bad personal habits like drinking too much?
- Discuss Mark Darcy. Does he treat Bridget properly, or is he wrong to look down on her initially? Why is he attracted to her?
- The novel is sometimes hostile to men, but Bridget’s father seems kind and is hurt by Bridget’s mother. Is there a reason the author makes her mother this way?
- Is Rebecca catty and mean, or is it maybe true as some critics say, that she is justifiably jealous of Bridget’s career and adventures? Are there times when Bridget is wrong, or fails to understand other people?
- Feminists have criticized the novel because Bridget isn’t very feminist; she can do stupid things and really only cares about getting a man. Is this true? Is this a fair criticism?
- Does the novel teach a lesson or have a moral to it? What is it?