Twelfth Night (about 1602)
Blog posts due & Presentations: Monday, March 25
Group 1: A key theme in the play is deception, where people show a false front. Are they justified in doing so?
Write a post here of two paragraphs (about 200 words) discussing Twelfth Night. Choose one topic, or make your post a reply to someone else’s post.
For the presentations, choose one topic per group. Your presentation must present an opinion or argument; it cannot just summarize the story. You must e-mail or speak to me before your presentation to have it approved.
- Are the play’s characters sympathetic when everyone changes their mind and plays so many tricks on each other? Who is the best character?
- Orsino is maybe more in love with “love” than with Olivia, and yet Viola falls in love with him. Why does she? What are his good qualities?
- A key theme in the play is deception, where people show a false front to others or themselves. Are they justified in doing so?
- Why do the other characters dislike Malvolio so much? Why does Olivia put up with him?
- Discuss how the songs and music in the play explain or relate to the story’s action or ideas.
- Discuss Feste. He is a clown but is probably the smartest person in the story. Why would Shakespeare do this?
- Is it right for Sebastian to marry Olivia so impulsively, when she thinks that she is marrying Cesario?
- Choose a character and show how that character changes throughout the play, and why.
- Does the play teach a lesson or have a moral to it? What is it?