Lucky Jim – Kingsley Amis (1954). Blog posts due and presentations: Wednesday, December 4.
- Group 7:
- Group 8:
Write a post here of two paragraphs (about 200 words) discussing Lucky Jim. Feel free to make your post a reply to someone else’s post if you like. Choose one topic for your presentation or for online discussion or your paper. One topic per group. A narrow, focused discussion is usually more interesting.
- Do you like Dixon, or sympathize with him? Would you want him as a friend?
- Discuss Margaret or Christine. How do they influence or change Dixon?
- Welch seems strangely forgiving of Dixon’s actions. Is Welch a bad or good man, or is he just a little stupid?
- Discuss morality in the novel. Who are the worst people in the story?
- Amis has been accused of hating women– are his portrayals of women in the novel fair?
- What do you think is the funniest scene in the novel? Describe and discuss how Amis makes the scene funny.
- Do you think the novel satirizes universities or English society? How or why?
- Why is Jim Dixon lucky? (Or is he?)
- Does Dixon grow up throughout the novel, or change? How and why?
- Some critics believe the ending is contrived or unrealistic, that Dixon doesn’t deserve to be “saved” by Gore-Urquhart. Do you agree?